Welcome to Monzie Church

Monzie Kirk was built in1830-31 and replaced an earlier, much older building. Although it is not know when the first church was built, the medieval parish of Monzie is well documented from the 13th. Century onwards and the church was named after St.Laurence the Martyr. The list of ministers displayed in the porch starts from 1593.

The Kirk is fortunate to have magnificent windows designed by the Victorian artist Burne Jones together with a fine pipe organ by Hill Norman & Beard. Some relics from the earlier church have been preserved, including the "jougs" and a "breeches bible" and are on display. Sitting on a knoll above the road, surrounded by a historic graveyard, with the Shaggie Burn and its ancient packhorse bridge nearby. With the sound of birdsong from the trees and views towards Ben Vorlich in the west, this place exudes an aura of spirituality and tranquility which draws people back either to worship or as a place of quiet contemplation.

      

  








Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookies and Privacy | Charity Number: SC002209